Yuma County Spelling Bee
2020 Spelling Bee Information
The Arizona Educational Foundation (AEF) hosts the annual Arizona Spelling Bee. The winner of this bee will participate in the 2020 Scripps National Spelling Bee.
Details regarding next steps for hosting and facilitating preliminary Spelling Bees are noted below.
- To be eligible to participate in your county or regional bee and ultimately in the Arizona Spelling Bee, schools must enroll with Scripps.
- Only students from schools (public, charter, private, or home schools) that are enrolled with Scripps National Spelling Bee (https://spellingbee.com/enrollment) will be eligible to participate in your County/Regional Bee and in the Arizona Spelling Bee.
- Early enrollment: August 21, 2019 through October 14, 2019
- School fee: $165; Individual home school family fee: $115
- Regular enrollment period: October 15, 2019 through December 20, 2019
- School fee: $240; Individual home school family fee: $190
IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER:
- August 21, 2019 through October 14, 2019: Scripps Early Bird Enrollment
- October 15, 2019 - December 20, 2019: Scripps Regular enrollment period.
- FEBRUARY 1, 2020 : District Spelling Bees must be held by 5:00 p.m. If you are a district bee coordinator and need a copy of the District Pronouncer Guide, contact Matthew Feller at email@example.com. (District Pronouncer Guides will be available beginning October 31, 2019.)
FEBRUARY 11, 2020: Yuma County Spelling Bee will be held at Arizona Western College at 10:00 a.m. Registration will begin at 9:00 a.m.
- March 2, 2020: Biography forms from each county/regional winner(s) and a photograph(s) of him/her must be submitted to the Arizona Educational Foundation online here. This is also the deadline to be notified of any special needs accommodations at the Arizona State Spelling Bee.
- Saturday March 21, 2020: The Arizona State Spelling Bee will be held at 1:00 p.m. at Arizona PBS, 555 N. Central Ave., Phoenix 85004. A pre-Bee lunch event for the finalists will be held. Details about the pre-Bee event and Bee itself will be conveyed by AEF to all finalists well in advance.
- Late May/Early June 2020: Scripps National Spelling Bee will be held in Washington, D.C.
OTHER DETAILS + REQUIREMENTS
Four years ago, Scripps introduced a vocabulary component into the national competition. The vocabulary component will be an optional part of spelling bees leading up to the national competition. There will NOT be a vocabulary component at the 2020 AEF™ Arizona State Spelling Bee.
Private and Home-Schools
Winners of home-school and private school bees (so long as the home school and private schools are properly enrolled with Scripps) are eligible to participate in the program. Enrollment and eligibility requirements apply to home-schooled students and students who attend private school.
Please note: all students must participate in at least one spelling bee to qualify for competition in a county or regional bee. Coordinators of private school and home school bees should contact the appropriate county and regional coordinator in a timely manner to (a) advise the coordinator of the school's intended participation, (b) register to participate, and (c) learn when and where county or regional bees will be held.
Each county sends one champion to the state competition with the following exceptions: Pima County sends two champions - its winner and first runner-up; Maricopa County Regions each send two contestants, the winner and first runner up from each of its six regions.
School coordinators must contact their district, LEA, Charter Management Organization/CMO, Education Management Organization/EMO, or equivalent education corporation coordinator (if applicable) or your county/regional coordinator if you are not part of a district, LEA, CMO or EMO to make sure your bee is planned in time for your winner to be included in the next level of competition.
A school winner's name MUST be reported to the appropriate next-level coordinator. Once the school winner(s) is reported, ensure that the student(s) have all the information they need to compete in the next-level bee.
If you have further questions about your school or local bee, please contact the Carolyn Marquez, firstname.lastname@example.org or Ashley Garcia, email@example.com, (928) 373-1006.
2020 Entry Form - County Spelling Bee Finalist: